LISBON--After only experiencing the Web Summit through various screens last year, I returned to that conference's host city this morning. I have four panels to moderate this week, which don't seem like that much of a challenge after all the copy I filed this week.

PCMag FCC-noms post10/26/2021: Biden Nominates Rosenworcel as FCC Chair, PCMag

I really didn't think I'd have to wait until almost November to write about President Biden picking a full-time chair of the Federal Communications Commission and filling the seat that's been left open since January. Neither nomination--acting chair Jessica Rosenworcel to become permanent chair, former FCC advisor Gigi Sohn to take the vacant seat--is a surprise, so I'm still wondering what took the White House so long. 

10/27/2021: Google Adds Option to Wipe Images of Kids From Search Results, PCMag

Writing this allowed me to revisit the "right to be forgotten" debate and how Google users where I'm writing this have far more rights to have certain results hidden from queries than Google's U.S. users do.

10/27/2021: S01 E15 - SmartTechCheck Podcast, Mark Vena

This week's podcast had us talking up the FCC nominations as well as Facebook's reliance on algorithms and Samsung moving to support the Matter smart-home standard. The video version suggests I should invest in some smart window blinds; I had mine closed to avoid bright sunlight oversaturating my home office, but halfway through the recording clouds rolled in, leaving me in the dark.  

10/27/2021: The Facebook Papers revelations, WWL

I talked to this New Orleans station (the folks there had me on in May to discuss streaming TV) about all of the bad news about Facebook we've gotten this week. 

10/28/2021: Nielsen on regaining accreditation: stay tuned, FierceVideo

I filled in at my trade-pub client to cover Nielsen's earnings call, on which executives for the audience-measurement firm gave... measured answers to questions about how they would regain accreditation for their TV ratings service from an industry group.

10/28/2021: Facebook renames itself to Meta, Al Jazeera

Speaking of Facebook news, the news channel quizzed me about my take on Facebook renaming itself to Meta and recasting itself as a metaverse-first developer. I hope my skepticism came across fully in overdubbed Arabic.

10/29/2021: In Rare Bipartisan Move, Congress Votes to Crack Down on Huawei, ZTE, PCMag

It's nice to know that even in these hyper-partisan times, Democrats and Republicans can still agree on some things--like their profound distrust of these large Chinese telecom firms.

10/29/2021:  In case you missed it: The Internet Archive turns 25, USA Today

This was a neat column to write--both because I learned some new things about how to use the Archive's Wayback Machine, and because it let me remind readers of the time I wrote up my visit to the Archive's offices in San Francisco for the Washington Post and then had Archive founder Brewster Kahle show up in that story's comments. That 2010 piece, appropriately enough, now seems readable only via the Archive.


This post is ad-supported